Thursday, November 1, 2007

Attitudes Caskets

When we lived in Sherman Oaks, I loved to shop at all the mom and pop places on Magnolia, Burbank and Ventura Blvds. These unique stores had charming names like "Floral and Hardy "or "Da Bombe Ice Cream Shoppe".

Naturally, I was not surprised when zipping along one of these boulevards I spotted with the corner of my eye a shop named "Attitudes Caskets". I was delighted. What a bold name.

"When I die," I told Bruce one day, "Please bury me in an Attitudes Casket." Bruce solemnly promised that he would.

Satisfied with my burial plans, I would pass that shop and sigh in contentment until the day I read the sign with more clarity. "Attuades Caskets" was what the owner had intended for us to read, and that's what it said.

I think about it once in a while. Attuades must be the name of the craftsman who builds these final homes for the tired shells of our immortal souls. How fortunate he is to have such an eye-catching name. A name that could cause someone like me to think about being buried with attitude.

Today is the Day of the Dead and I honor Mr. Attuades.

Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

No comments: