Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hurry Up and Wait

I've had the flu this past week.

Vanessa and I had made plans quite a while back to attend a craft show. The show was to run from 11am to 7pm. We were to be at the Pomona County Fairgrounds to set up by 9:00am. I live in Northridge, and it takes me 45 minutes to get to Whittier where Vanessa lives.

Furthermore, I needed my mom to help with Brooke, so we invited her along. I needed to factor in the time it takes to go to Mom's house so that I could pick her up and take her along with me to meet at V's house. It takes 20 minutes to get to the Pomona County Fairground from Vanessa's house.
and
I'm bad at math. Numbers make me dizzy whether I have the flu or not.

The day before the craft show, Mom calls:

Mom - "What time are you coming to pick me up tomorrow?"

Me - "Oh, around 6am."

Mom - "What? Do you mean you will be rolling into my driveway at 6am? SIX."

Me - "Yep. That's the plan."

Mom (doubtfully, and rightly so) - "Okay. See you tomorrow."

Next day

It's 7am and I call my mom to tell her I am leaving my house.

Me: "Hi Mom! I'm leaving now."

Mom: "Uh, Okay. I'll see you when you get here. Bye." She sounds a little strange.

I get into my car (with Brooke) and my mobile phone rings. It's Mom.

Mom: "Hi. Don't pick me up at my house. I'll meet you at Vanessa's. She's having an anxiety attack. Don't you know it takes TWENTY minutes to get from her house to the Fairgrounds?"

Me. "It's only 7:05. That gives us two hours. I'll be there in 40 minutes."

Mom: "Well, Vanessa is fit to be tied. Get OVER HERE."

I arrive at Vanessa's house at 7:45am. I call from inside my car. "Hello!" Vanessa answers the phone cheerily. "I'm here. Ready to go." I say drily.
"Come on in for a spell," Vanessa says warmly and hangs up.

The front door opens and my mom walks out smiling. She helps me with my bags and with Brooke. My brother walks out of the house and greets me with a hug. "Come on in! I have breakfast for you!" He says affectionately.

I feel like I am at a surprise birthday party for myself.

I walk in the door and Sabrina runs to give me yet another hug. Chloe twinkles a hello. Oscar gallantly pulls out a chair and places two warm and tasty breakfast burritos in front of me.

Vanessa swirls into the kitchen in a cloud of trendy sparkles. She is sporting a new haircut and some edgy specs. "Good Morning!" She tells me with a freshly brushed smile. She sweeps up my bags and marches outside to pack them into her van.

"Hurry up and eat those Burritos!" Oscar says sotto voce as he shoves a coffee mug into my hand. "Vanessa is having a conniption fit."

Confused and fuzzy brained from the flu I am trying to get over, I mumble something about hey she's lucky I'm even here. Oscar and Sabrina tense up at my insurgent comment. Vanessa comes back into the house and everyone is all smiles once again.

"I'll just put Brooke into the car while you eat." Vanessa says helpfully. Now I am trapped. She knows I won't sit for a spell with my baby in the mini van. I gobble down my burrito, gulp down my coffee and join my daughter. Mom gets in too. It is 8:00am.

We are on our merry way toward the fairgrounds when Vanessa says in a most polite tone:

"Thank you for coming with me to the craft fair. I know you don't feel good. I really appreciate it."

"That's right." I say. "You owe me. And I will make you pay." I really do not plan on making her pay, but I like how it sounds.

We arrive at the fairgrounds at 8:30am. By 9:00, we are set up and ready to sell. The show is set to start at 11:00.

We sit there looking at eachother like the fish in Finding Nemo's final scene: Now What?

My mom holds Brooke and scolds, "Hey, did you forget to put socks on this kid?" Vanessa cannot help but chime in, "Monica! Her feet are like iceblocks!"

I am happy. I get to spend the next 10 hours with these ladies who happen to be two of my most favorite women in the world.

I couldn't think of a better way to spend my free time.

No comments: