Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Brooke's Nicknames

When Brooke was born, Celeste took one look at her and said, "Ooooh, you're so cute! You're so tiny. I'm going to call you, uhhhhh..." Blank look.

"Mommy, I can't call her Tiny. That's what you call ME."

"That's right." I say. "Why don't we just call her Brooke?"

Celeste gives me another blank look because she's thinking. "I know!" She says with one finger pointing into the air - pointing at the little cartoon lightbulb hanging above her head.

"I'm going to call you "Sign-ey" Celeste tells the baby with finality. "Because it rhymes with Tiny."

I tried to discourage this strange nickname, but once Emme caught on, it was over for me.

"If you must call her something other than Brooke" I reason, "why don't you try to call her Anneliese?" Anneliese is Brooke's middle name. We named her for the main protagonista in the Barbie movie "The Princess and The Pauper".

Both would blow me off with words I love to hear. "Okay Mommy."

They call her Sign-ey, or Shiny, Shine, and my personal favorite: The Sign.

I thought this was just something they would get over, but no, now I am calling my baby Shine, Shiny, and Sign-ey. I can't bring myself to call her "The Sign" yet.

Maybe I'm too supersticious.

1 comment:

Vanessa and Company said...

The Sign is brilliant! I think I am going to demand that people start calling me that from now on...LOLOL!!! Hi-larious!!!