Friday, November 30, 2007

The Praying Mantis

Celeste's Kindergarten class boasts a large bug cage which houses a female praying mantis. This is the second praying mantis this year. The first one was mercifully set free by the kindergartners last month.

I was relieved to learn that that first praying mantis had been set free. This particular bug had a killer appetite. An appetite which I blissfully knew nothing about until the day I saw a moth - a deceased moth - lying upon the cage.

"Look closer!" The kids urged me. I squinted my eyes and pretended to get up close. Five feet away was good enough for me. "It's half eaten." Celeste said matter-of-factly. "The moth must have flown in and landed on the cage for a break. The mantis ate as much of it as she could through the screen." Mrs. Margo explained. Nice.

The day I saw an empty cage did not come fast enough for me. The cage was empty for about 3 weeks. Imagine my dismay when last week, I saw a new resident of Kindy Cages Bug Hotel. A big, bright green praying mantis. One of the kids had caught a praying mantis and brought it to school. Apparently the earnest students of Mrs. Margo's class could not get enough real life entomology.

On Monday, I entered the classroom to pick up Celeste. She was waiting for me excitedly. "Look Mom! The praying mantis layed an egg sac! Come see!"
I did NOT want to come see, but being a good mom and swallowing my inexplicable nausea, I went to see the egg sac. I'll spare the sticky details.

Tuesday, Mrs. Margo sent home a note to the kids' parents asking them to catch and save crickets for the mama praying mantis to eat. Yesterday, I went in the classroom and Celeste's best friend Amber had brought in a jar of crickets. As I was signing Celeste in, Mrs. Margo held up the jar for everyone to admire. It had a sponge with fresh water, some lettuce and best of all, tiny crickets. Because, Mrs. Margo explained, the mama praying mantis could not handle eating the big crickets and....

I didn't want to hear any more. Choking back my breakfast, I ran into the pre-K classroom - Emme's bug free haven. "I'm not usually squeamish, but I just can't handle that praying mantis, her egg sac and her eating preferences." I explained to Emme's teachers.

They understood perfectly and let me catch my breath. What am I going to do when Emme's in Kindergarten?

Here's another disturbing thought: What am I going to do when those eggs hatch?

1 comment:

Willow Tree said...

OMG how gross! I am laughing so hard at this cant wait to see all science experiments my daughter will have in school...I guess I can wait:)
Brooke