Sunday, February 24, 2008

Retro Mermaids



I really couldn't think of what to call this set - until just now for the title of this blog post. The Free Spirit fabric reminds me of atomic age design. The mermaids on the knit leggings and, hence, the applique remind me of something I would find in an antique mall. In my mind, the designs are very retro. Even the style of the tunic and leggings - makes me think of the '50's and '60's.

I asked my friend Monica of Maddie's Bowtique to make me some bows to match some samples of fabric that I had brought to her. She made 3 pairs of bows for me. Beautiful, perfectly scaled bows. She made them the way I would have made them if I could make bows.

I love the tiny little mermaids she picked for this set. The ribbons are perfect and she had not even seen the Free Spirit fabric because I didn't know I was going to use it at the time. I'm going to list the complete ensemble on September 27. It's going to be a custom auction because Celeste and I could not part with our Retro Mermaids!

1 comment:

Vanessa and Company said...

LOVE it so much! The mermaid applique is divine! I thought it was a part of the fabric at first. AWESOME!!!