Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Favorite Name

This afternoon Bruce treated us to some In N Out burgers and shakes. He brought them home and divvied the goods out onto our granite peninsula-style counter: One cheeseburger and fry combo each for me and Bruce, one hamburger with no bun for Emme and a cheeseburger with no cheese for Celeste. Sadly, In N Out burgers come without pickles.

We dig into our burgers as I feed our hapless baby organic mashed peas. "Can I give Brooke a fry?" Celeste asks. "Absolutely not." is Bruce's not unexpected answer.

I smell trouble.

"Mommy gave one to Brooke the other day." Celeste reasons. Bruce glares at me. I give my best unconcerned shrug. "Yes I did." I say giving Brooke another spoonful of peas. Bruce is easily distracted by Emme who is asking for more ketchup.

"Mommy," Celeste says, conversationally, "What's your favorite name?"

"My favorite names are Celeste, Emme and Brooke." I answer.

"No. What's your favorite ONE name?" Celeste asks with a dimpled grin.

"Miller." I respond with my own dimpled grin.

"No Mom. What's your favorite FIRST name?" Celeste insists.

"Bruce."

Celeste sits back with a defeated sigh.

Bruce soothes his daughter.
"That's the politically correct answer, Sweetie."

"Pass the ketchup Emme." I say, and I give Brooke another spoonful of peas.

3 comments:

Vanessa and Company said...

Gasp! You gave Brooke a french fry...Oh the horror...LOLOLOLOL!!!!
That child will be scarred for life...MUUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Just kidding....you are a responsible mother, who feeds her children lots of fruits vegetables and totally healthy stuff....wink, wink!!

Love U
V
PS. I'm still sitting on my *ss, reading blogs, more jokes, and the like!!!

Monica said...

Me too. Just sitting here on my ass WRITING blogs, jokes etc!

ps MUM'S the word on my nostril story!

Vanessa and Company said...

My lips are zipped, and I have officially thrown away the key...!