Sunday, October 28, 2007

Bathrooms and Butterflies

This morning, Celeste came into my bedroom to play with me and Brooke while Daddy was taking a shower. I wondered where Emme was, but she is a quiet kind of kid who enjoys playing by herself, so I didn't call out for her.

"Mom, I want to take a shower too." Celeste declares.

"Sure." I am agreeable. "Let's get you ready to take a shower then."

We walk to the kids' bathroom. Celeste is ahead of me. The door to the interior part of the bathroom, the part where the shower is, is mysteriously closed.

The door opens and Emme pokes her head out with a sunshiney smile.

"Mommy, close your eyes. I've got a surprise for you!"

I suppress a small shudder.

I close my eyes and say, "Oh no. I'm not sure I'm going to like this surprise."

Celeste who had been scouting around says gently, "Don't worry mommy. You're gonna love it."

They lead me through the door and Emme tells me to open my eyes.

Firmly attached to the bathroom walls are about 20 butterfly stickers. Not the American kind that is easy to peel off. No. This is the kind from China. The kind of stickers that is like vinyl wallpaper. The kind that peels off in layers. The ones Nana Miller sent in her Halloween surprise box.

As I wonder how I am going to get these stickers off without damaging the drywall, Emme points out her favorites to me.

I can't help but point out MY favorites.

The three of us stand back and admire Emme's work.

"Daddy is going to be furious". Celeste states matter of factly.

No, I think to myself. He will be as delighted with the butterflies as I am.

1 comment:

Mari said...

You are the mother I want to be!! LOVE you!