Monday, March 30, 2009

Time Stand Still for Just a Moment

Scene: Brooke and I sitting on the floor of Celeste and Emme's bedroom. Brooke is playing with a box of teeny tiny toys while I read a book one foot away from her. Every once in a while, Brooke waves a small object underneath my nose and announces what it is: "cup", "shoe", "umbrella". I acknowledge the doll accessories, look her in the eye, nod, and then go back to my book.

I am pulled out of my book when I hear her baby voice singing. "I love you, I love you, shhhh! I love you!".

I look down and I see her laying a pink velour Barbie blanket over two 1 and one half inch Bratz Babies which are lying on a six inch plastic Dora The Explorer bed.
"Here's your banket" She whispers in her two year-old voice. "Shhhh!"

The dolls are at the footboard side of the bed and are nearly slipping off the end as she draws the blanket over them. I contemplate flipping them around to the headboard side so that they don't risk falling off anymore.

Worried that Brooke will protest, I take my chance and carefully flip the bed over. I turn the dolls around. The Bratz babies are still facing the same direction, but the headboard can now stop them from falling off. Brooke watches me while quietly holding the "banket".

When the babies are safely positioned, heads on pink Dora pillows, Brooke once again places the blanket over them.

"Here's your banket", she coos. Then she makes and proves all my wishes true and sings her lullaby.

"I love you, I love you. Shhhhh! I love you!"

1 comment:

Mari said...

Oh shoot! You made me cry!!