Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Public Hair

Years ago, when I was 18, I took a trip with my cousin Priscilla - we like to call her Pita - to Europe. We stayed at her aunt's (my 2nd cousin's) home in Weiderstadt, Germany and traveled to various countries with Pita's Nana (my great aunt) as a chaperone.

We usually traveled by bus. Our aunt (2nd cousin) Yolanda would take us to the Rhein Mein air force base where she had signed us up for trips to various countries.

I am thinking of a particular bus trip. Where we were going, I don't remember. It was the bus ride that sticks in my memory. Pita is a very easy going and extremely likeable person. In Spanish, the word is "simpatica". We sat next to each other prepared for the hours long trip to who knows where anymore. We had Evian water bottles, snacks and books. Possibly V.C. Andrews books, but I don't remember. We were at peace with the world and with each other.

As we read our books quietly, I happened to glance down - maybe I was at the bottom of the page. I saw a short curly hair resting on my tee shirt right below my chin. I picked up the hair and absentmindedly examined it. I quickly came to the conclusion that it was a pubic hair. I replaced it and went back to my book.

Pita must have been watching me the whole time.

"Give me that!" she said disgustedly. She snatched the hair from my chest and tossed it away.

We looked at each other with merry eyes - Pita has that kind of sense of humor - my kind. We went back to our books.

Here we are 24 years later. Me, Pita and Pita's Mom Priscilla (my 2nd cousin)That's my mom's arm there on the left with Brooke's little hand there too. I don't know who the guys are in the back.

2 comments:

Mari said...

OMG Now I've heard it all...you put the hair BACK on you??!!

Monica!!

I really need to move right by you!! You are so hilarious and you always put a smile on my face, right when I need it the most!!

Love ya Monica!

The one hour lunch we had at Rainforest simply was not enough time!

Thanks for making me laugh!!

Mari

Vanessa and Company said...

Look at you beauties!
I love that story, I'm sure I would have done something equally as strange with it, LOl!