Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Moco

Not too long ago, I was unloading the girls from the car into their school. It takes a while. Emme likes to take her time. We have homework to remember, seat belts to unbuckle, friends to say hello to.

This particular morning, Emme's classmate Lynn's mom drove up and parked a few spots from us. As I was standing at the open car door waiting for Celeste and Emme to come out, she called out to me.

"Wait! I have something for the baby!" she rummaged through her bag and walked up to the Minnie van.

"Hello Brooke!" she cooed affectionately. She handed my baby something small and green. A little stuffed something with a tee, plaid pants and a small hat.

I thanked her graciously and shepherded the girls into the kindergarten class.

I usually pick Emme up at 1 - right before nap. Then I pick Celeste up at 3:30. All this driving on the 405 has been taking its toll on me and I decided that it was time for Emme start taking naps at school. One of the ways that I was able to convince her to stay was to allow her to take her Care Bear to school.

"How was your nap with your Care Bear?" I asked one day.

"It was great mom. May I take a Care Bear for Lynn to nap with too?"

"Sure." I said. "Just ask Celeste if it's okay and you may let Lynn borrow one."

Next day:

"How was nap today Emme?"

"It was great mom. But Lynn wants you to buy her a new Care Bear. She doesn't want to nap with an old one."

"What?" I am dumbfounded at the nerve of this little kid. "She wants me to buy her a new Care Bear? Tell her to nap with a little moco like the one her mom gave Brooke!"

"What's a moe coe?" Celeste asks her in her gringo accent.

"A moco" Emme says in a perfect Mexican accent "is a booger."

This one's for you, Vanessa:

4 comments:

Vanessa and Company said...

OMG!!! I'm about to pee my pants!! Even though you already told me the story, and I knew what was coming, I eagerly re-read your account of it, and am laughing so hard, I'm crying! As I scrolled down, the page, hoping to catch a glimpse of the moco, I am not prepared for the sight...TOO FUNNY FOR WORDS! Don't throw him out! I'll fin a spot for him next to Kawaii guy!!! Love it so much, thanks for the laugh all over again!

Vanessa and Company said...

OMG! I can't stop laughing! I'm leaving your blog now, to compose myself!

Mari said...

Who the hell makes MOCO dolls???

ROFLMAO!!!! This post had me literally falling off my chair laughing!!

Steffi said...

Funny toy!