Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


I'm wondering why the greeting card companies put those little stamp squares (place postage here) on the envelopes for Valentine cards to husbands and wives.

I get that there are people who are overseas and want to send cards to their spouses, but do the overseas greeting card manufacturers (say the Afghani ones) put the little stamp squares on their envelopes?

Not only that, but the ratio of people who give their spouses greeting cards in person is likely greater than than the people who send their cards overseas.

Okay, so not overseas - how about if a person's spouse were in another state? If Bruce were, say in Boston (or for that matter, I'll take him overseas to London where he once was for Valentine's day), I would just wait until he got home to give him his Valentine's day card.

I'm just going to belabor the subject a bit more: Say I'm a military wife and want to send my hubby a Valentine's day card. I wouldn't just send a card. I would send pix of the kids and artwork from them and some homemade cookies and a sweater - lot's of goodies in a big box where I would tuck in the Valentine card right on top. No need for little square once again!

And while I'm at it, why do we need a square anyway? Are we that dumb that we can't figure out where to place a postage stamp? Has email taken over our lives so much that we've forgotten how to write a note and send it via snail mail? If that were the case, then I'd send my Valentine an E-CARD!

Okay - I'm losing it, but here's the thing: that little gray square (place postage here) completely offends my sense of aesthetics. I wish it were gone. I would have liked to have had a nice clear white rectangle on which to write "To Bruce" unmarred by a little grey square in the upper right hand corner.

Yeah, I put a sticker (not a stamp) to cover it up, but it's not the same.

1 comment:

Vanessa and Company said...

Yes, my friend. I hear you. The square is offensive to the eye. We are smarter than that...well, most of us are anyway.
You go girl with the stickers, though. That's the way to stick it to the man...
Happy Valentines....!